Löherplatz with former Tannery
Löhergasse, the traditional home to the leather industry. Until 1957, this site and the ground area of the surrounding buildings belonged to the biggest Idstein leather factory. The ancient city wall ran in a north-south direction (see paving!). The Tannery (drying room) dated 1816, is the last of originally 30 similar buildings that remains. The wooden blades in the gable roof served for ventilation of the leather, which was hung to dry. Since the 1920s it has housed a glazier’s and a joiner’s workshop. In 1993, it was acquired by the town and since 2002 has been used for cultural events.