The Residence / The Palace
By using parts of the ancient castle, the Renaissance style Residence of the counts and princes of Nassau-Idstein was mainly constructed between 1614 and 1634. In 1721, the family line of Nassau-Idstein died out. In the following years in succession it was home to the Nassau central archive office, a convalescent home, a military hospital for reservists, military barracks, a country hostel, a teachers training college and again a military hospital. Since 1946, it has been the Pestalozzi Grammar School.