The square is Idstein’s parlour. In 1946, it was named after the only German King of the House of Nassau, King Adolf (about 1250-1298).
As a market place, it has always been the central place in town. Here meetings and trials were held. Nowadays, the square, which is surrounded by half-timbered houses, hosts open-air concerts, theatre performances and once again markets.